New York City, New York — New York Gov. Kathy Hochul is blaming the Trump administration for the ongoing Long Island Rail Road strike, escalating a political feud as thousands of commuters face major travel disruptions.
The strike began Saturday after negotiations between the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and several rail unions collapsed over wage demands. It marks the first Long Island Rail Road strike in more than three decades.
Hochul argued the dispute became possible after the Trump administration allegedly took the unusual step last year of ending federal mediation efforts between labor unions and transit officials. She said the move helped push negotiations toward a breakdown.
The governor emphasized that New York supports organized labor but argued the MTA could not agree to union demands that might significantly raise fares or taxes. Unions involved in the strike are reportedly seeking wage increases of about 5%, while the MTA has offered roughly 3%.
President Donald Trump strongly denied responsibility for the strike, attacking Hochul on Truth Social and claiming he had “nothing to do with it.” The White House has not issued a formal response beyond Trump’s comments online.
Some labor leaders involved in the strike also pushed back against the political rhetoric. Two unions participating in the walkout said the dispute “should not be politicized,” signaling frustration with both sides using the labor conflict for broader political messaging.
The strike has disrupted transportation across Long Island and the New York metropolitan area, with officials warning delays and economic impacts could grow if negotiations remain stalled.
Sources:
Discover more from News Facts Network
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.