BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, Texas — The Trump administration has temporarily halted all border construction inside Big Bend National Park after bipartisan opposition from Texas officials, residents and conservationists over new roads, barriers and surveillance infrastructure.
Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Rodney Scott announced Monday that work would stop while he conducts a personal “on-the-ground evaluation” and meets with local officials, community members and law enforcement.
The pause follows weeks of criticism after heavy equipment began clearing land in the remote West Texas park. Earlier plans for a 30-foot border wall inside Big Bend had already been abandoned, but CBP continued preparing for patrol roads, vehicle barriers, lighting and surveillance technology.
Opposition has crossed party lines. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said he discussed the project with federal officials, while Republican Sen. John Cornyn and Democratic lawmakers have questioned whether extensive construction is necessary in terrain already dominated by steep cliffs, desert and the Rio Grande.
Big Bend historically sees far fewer illegal crossings than many other sections of the southern border, and crossings there have fallen further during the past two years. Critics argue the relatively low numbers make environmental disruption particularly difficult to justify.
The administration has not said how long the pause will last or whether portions of the project will ultimately be canceled.
Scott said CBP remains committed to border security while also protecting “the natural beauty and cultural significance” of the national park.
Sources:
Discover more from News Facts Network
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.