Seattle, Washington — Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson on Thursday announced a series of executive actions aimed at limiting the presence of federal civil immigration enforcement on city property and expanding support for immigrant residents, following heightened national concern after fatal shootings involving federal agents earlier this month.
Wilson signed an executive order barring civil federal immigration authorities from using city-owned or city-controlled properties, including parks and public facilities, for enforcement operations. She also directed the Seattle Police Department to investigate, verify, and document reports of immigration enforcement activity, including requesting identification from federal officers and recording encounters with body and dash cameras when appropriate.
Although Seattle officials said the city has not experienced a surge comparable to recent events in Minneapolis, Wilson said preparations were necessary due to increased immigration enforcement activity nationwide over the past year. As part of the response, the city will launch a community hotline operated by a partner organization to connect residents with information and resources related to enforcement activity.
The mayor also announced the rapid deployment of $4 million for immigrant legal defense, funding that was appropriated by the Seattle City Council last year. In addition, the city is establishing the “Stand Together Seattle” initiative, encouraging private property owners to require federal agents to present warrants before entering.
City leaders acknowledged they cannot prevent federal immigration enforcement within Seattle, but said state officials may pursue legal action if enforcement escalates. Seattle police leadership emphasized the department will maintain its independence and not assist in federal immigration operations.
Sources:
Discover more from News Facts Network
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.