Share this:

ANNAPOLIS, MD — Gov. Wes Moore announced Monday that Maryland will allocate $62 million in state funding to ensure residents receive full November Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits during the ongoing federal government shutdown. The move follows a federal shortfall after the Trump administration opted to fund only 50% of benefits ordered by the courts.

Moore issued the funding through an executive order after declaring a state of emergency last week. “No state can fill the enormous gap created by Donald Trump and his administration,” Moore said, emphasizing that Maryland would not allow families to go hungry.

The funds will come from the state’s Fiscal Responsibility Fund and directly support SNAP recipients. Maryland is one of several states suing the federal government for halting benefits, with courts in Rhode Island and Massachusetts ruling that the administration violated federal law.

State Human Services Secretary Rafael López said the governor’s action will prevent thousands from losing access to food. Maryland continues processing new SNAP applications at MarylandBenefits.gov and offering assistance to federal employees impacted by the shutdown.

Sources:


Discover more from News Facts Network

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x