U.S. Attorney Erik Siebert, the top federal prosecutor for Virginia’s Eastern District, resigned Friday after President Donald Trump pressured him to pursue charges against New York Attorney General Letitia James.
Trump criticized Siebert earlier in the day, saying he wanted him “out” because he had been confirmed with support from Virginia’s two Democratic senators. Siebert, who took office in January, told staff in an email that it had been “the pleasure of leading the finest and most exceptional of DOJ employees” over the past eight months.
According to reports, Trump wanted Siebert to prosecute James for alleged mortgage fraud involving her Virginia home and Brooklyn property. Siebert reportedly told Justice Department officials investigators found insufficient evidence. James sued Trump in 2022 for financial fraud and won, leading to multimillion-dollar penalties against him and his company.
James’s attorney, Abbe Lowell, called Siebert’s ouster “a brazen attack on the rule of law,” accusing Trump of firing prosecutors who refuse to bend to his demands.
It is unclear who will replace Siebert. NBC News reported his deputy, Maya Song, could be demoted. The Justice Department and White House did not immediately comment.
Sources
Discover more from News Facts Network
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.