Share this:

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two National Guard members remained in critical condition Thursday as federal officials expanded their investigation into the suspect accused of ambushing troops near the White House. Authorities say 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal drove from Washington state to the capital before allegedly shooting U.S. Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom and U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe in a crowded commercial area the day before Thanksgiving.

Both soldiers underwent surgery and remain hospitalized. Officials said Lakanwal, an Afghan national who arrived in 2021, faces multiple counts of assault with intent to kill. Prosecutors warned the charges could be upgraded to murder if either service member dies. The Department of Justice said it will seek the death penalty should that occur.

Federal investigators executed a search warrant at the suspect’s residence in Bellingham, seizing electronic devices and interviewing relatives. Officials also confirmed the handgun used in the attack is being analyzed at an FBI laboratory. Lakanwal is believed to have five children and previously worked with U.S. partner forces in Afghanistan.

The shooting comes as thousands of National Guard members remain deployed in the capital. Despite a recent ruling deeming the deployment illegal, the court allowed troops to remain while the administration appeals. Defense officials plan to send an additional 500 Guard members following the attack, while Homeland Security confirmed all Afghan-related immigration processing has been halted pending review.

———————————————

Sources:


Discover more from News Facts Network

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x