The U.S. State Department announced the move Friday in response to last week’s military coup that ousted the democratically elected government of President Mohamed Bazoum.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken emphasized that while some forms of assistance are being cut, humanitarian assistance would continue.
“This interim measure does not impact all U.S. foreign assistance programs in Niger. Most importantly, the provision of life-saving humanitarian and food assistance will continue,” he said in a statement.
Further, he added, “we are continuing U.S. government activities in Niger where feasible to do so, including diplomatic and security operations, for the protection for U.S. personnel.”
The U.S. move ramped up pressure on the military junta being applied by members of the Economic Community of West African States, including Nigeria, Senegal and Ivory Coast, who have said they would support an intervention to restore the democratically elected government.
The ECOWAS states have declared the military junta led by Gen. Omar Abdourahamane Tchiani to be illegitimate and have imposed a Sunday deadline to restore Bazoum to power.
“All the elements that will go into any eventual intervention have been worked out,” said ECOWAS commissioner Abdel-Fatau Musah.