Judge extends New York Times ban on Project Veritas coverage

A New York trial judge on Tuesday extended a ban keeping the New York Times from publishing some materials concerning the conservative activist group Project Veritas, a restriction the newspaper said violated decades of First Amendment protections.

Justice Charles Wood of the Westchester County Supreme Court said his temporary ban imposed on Nov. 18 will run at least until Dec. 1, a deadline for Project Veritas to respond in writing to the Times’ bid to end it.

The judge granted the extension after a 1-3/4-hour hearing in White Plains, which was part of a defamation lawsuit that Project Veritas filed against the Times last year.

It has objected to a Nov. 11 Times article that drew from memos from a Project Veritas lawyer, and purported to reveal how the group worked with its lawyers to “Gauge how far its deceptive reporting practices can go before running afoul of federal laws.”

Neither the Times nor Project Veritas was immediately available for comment.

Project Veritas had been suing over a Sept. 2020 Times article describing a video the group released that alleged voter fraud connected to the campaign of U.S. congresswoman Ilhan Omar, a Minnesota Democrat.

Joel Kurtzberg, a lawyer for the Times, told Wood a longer ban in the Project Veritas case could have broad, negative ramifications for journalists.

Read Full Story
Reuters Rating

Share this:

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: