With cities across the country witnessing spikes in violent crime, the White House on Wednesday announced a new plan to tackle gun violence, building on President Biden’s vow to make it his priority to curb America’s gun violence epidemic.
Citing the uptick in violence since the coronavirus pandemic forced millions of Americans out of work and into their homes for extended periods, administration officials said Biden on Wednesday will announce a five-point proposal that includes:
- Cracking down on gun sellers who violate federal laws, with a new zero-tolerance policy.
- Giving additional support to local law enforcement to help with summer crime increases.
- Investing in community violence intervention programs.
- Expanding summer employment and services, particularly for teens and young adults.
- Helping formerly incarcerated individuals successfully reenter their communities.